Sunday, May 20, 2012

Drente

Fochteloerveen in the afternoon, perfect time and weather for Red-footed Falcon. I enjoyed 15-20 hunting Hobby's but no vespertinus. A Raven flew over very high, as did a Honey Buzzard, and a Crane was calling in the distance.

Then I heard a familiar call, and indeed 2 Whiskered Terns fell out of the sky! The birds stayed for 10 minutes and due to the strong backlight I can only present some "belegfotos";

The Pallid Harrier was still present at Exloerveen and gave a nice show, I finally connected with this species this spring!

In the evening I went back to Fochteloerveen as 2 Redfoots had indeed been reported today. But again all we could find were Hobby's. But the atmoshere was great; wind had dropped, a distant thunderstorm was slowly approaching and Cranes were trumpeting!

They should have left some trees for the falcons...